The second Friday in October, which this year falls on Friday 12 October 2018, is a day for raising international awareness of the work of children’s hospices and children’s palliative care (CPC) services worldwide. The campaign is called Hats On for Children’s Palliative Care with the hashtag #HatsOn4CPC.
The day aims to raise funds for children’s palliative care, but more importantly, to raise awareness of the rights of very sick children with incurable and life-threatening illnesses to receive palliative care.
We know that there are in excess of 21 million children in the world who live with a life-limiting illness or condition that will or could drastically shorten their lives.
Sadly, just 1% of these children are accessing palliative care services. Services that do exist are mostly in the developed world. Those in the developing world are often underfunded and inadequate to meet the overwhelming need. As a result, millions of children have a poor quality of life and suffer from pain and other distressing symptoms which could be controlled and significantly improved with palliative care.
WHAT IS CHILDREN’S PALLIATIVE CARE?
Children’s palliative care (CPC) is holistic care that responds to the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of a child with a life-threatening or life-limiting illness as well as providing care for the child’s family. It aims to provide expert pain relief and symptom control and whatever emotional, social and spiritual support is required to enable the affected child to enjoy the best quality of life possible in the circumstances. When necessary, it supports the child at the end of life and continues to care for the bereaved family members for as long as is needed. This care is provided by a compassionate team of people who all wear different, and sometimes many, hats!
Hats On for CPC is a wonderful way to raise awareness and funds for children’s hospices and palliative care services. You can get involved at various levels, either as:
- An individual
- A school or company
- A children’s palliative care service or NGO
GET INVOLVED AS AN INDIVIDUAL
To take part as an individual, follow these 3 simple steps:
- Wear a hat to work, school or college on Friday 12 October
- Take a selfie, add the hashtag #HatsOn4CPC, upload to your Facebook page and tag ICPCN’s Facebook page
- Make a donation of your choosing to ICPCN in honour of the day.
You could also:
- Get your friends together and host your very own Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, share photos on social media and tag ICPCN. Use the hashtag #HatsOn4CPC
- Hold a hat making/hat wearing competition with prizes for the winners in different categories, such as most elegant hat, funniest hat, tallest hat, etc.
- Have a ‘Funky Hat Day’ at your work or school.
GET INVOLVED AS A SCHOOL, COLLEGE CLASS OR COMPANY
Host your own ‘Hats On 4 CPC’ event at your school or work place by following these 3 simple steps:
- Download the free materials from our website.
- Ask people to wear a hat on Friday 12 October and share photos with us on social media using the hashtag #HatsOn4CPC
- Donate proceeds from your event to ICPCN or your local children’s hospice or children’s palliative care service.