Mother’s Day is usually a big deal for us, and, although we are doing thing very differently this year, it still is.
Usually we treat the mothers with gifts, flowers and a nice lunch, but too soon the flowers wilt, the meals have been eaten and the choccies too… and then it is back to the everyday chore of trying to work out how to get money for the essentials… this is emotionally, mentally and psychologically disempowering, and adds even more stress to a mother who is constantly living under the stress of helplessly watching her child fight cancer every day.
THIS Mother’s Day, we plan to start a truly amazing Gifting process to these Mommies, who often go without food, toiletries and sanitary products, simply because there is no money to keep the home going as well as for the Mommy to have everything she needs while sitting with her child at hospital as well.
We are launching our emBRACE Project!
The emBRACE Project is a job-creation and self-earning Project, which means that, even while sitting in hospital, caring for their Child with Cancer, these Mommies can still earn a small income.
The emBRACE Project came about as the result of the plight of mothers who have to give up their jobs to look after their Child with Cancer, often spending months, even years, sitting at their bedside in the hospital and being unable to earn an income.
Enabling these mothers to keep busy and earn an income will help them financially as well as emotionally and mentally, as it will enable them to buy some basics as well as save a little or buy some little treats for their child; it will keep their minds busy so that they can think of something other than the cancer 24/7 and it will go a long way towards restoring some dignity and hope.
The basic emBRACE Project idea is to provide mothers of children with cancer, with a start-up kit for producing simple bracelets. These kits will be small enough to take with to the hospital, where the mothers often have nothing to occupy themselves with during the times that their child is sleeping.
The Little Fighters Cancer Trust will package and re-sell the bracelets to the public via:
- Shops – we have some which are already supportive of our Organisation and our cause
- Schools – Children and Classes can take it on as a charity project
- Businesses – Companies that would be willing to promote the product among their staff or to utilise the bracelets as corporate gifts at company meetings and events
- Social Media – Little Fighters Cancer Trust and its supporters would promote and sell via social media sites
The bracelets will be sold for twice the amount that the mothers earn from each unit. There will be a set unit price, to ensure fairness and equal opportunity.
Mothers will be paid for the bracelets they have made BEFORE the bracelets are actually sold, so they will not need to wait for their income.
LFCT will assist the Mommies to “save” a small portion of their earnings by restocking their kits for free for the first three months so that they can get on their feet, so to speak. Thereafter they will be able to restock their kits themselves by purchasing them at cost price from LFCT.
The mark-up per unit, will be utilised by Little Fighters Cancer Trust to:
- Cover packaging and distribution costs
- Facilitate Duplication of the Project: A portion of each unit’s sale will be retained until enough funds have been accumulated to launch the emBRACE Project in another Pediatric Oncology Hospital Ward.
The plan is that the emBRACE Project will be duplicated in all of the provinces, so that it will eventually include all the Pediatric Oncology Hospital wards in South Africa.
HOW CAN YOU HELP MAKE THIS A REALITY?
- Sponsorship: Each start-up kit costs R500.00. You can sponsor an emBRACE start-up kit for a Mommy.
- Sales: Once we have the very first hospital ward’s Mommies starting to produce bracelets, you can help us sell them at schools, businesses, between friends and family….the possibilities are endless.
Mother’s Day is on 10 May
This means we don’t have much time; Please make your Donations as soon as possible
Banking Details and Reference for your emBRACE Gift:
Little Fighters Cancer Organisation
Bank: First National Bank
Branch: Paarl Mall
Account No: 62277783249
Branch Code: 250057
Swift Code for International Gifts: FIRNZAJJ
Please reference your emBRACE Gift with your name and emBRACE.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 073 729 6155.
If you would like the Project Information e-mailed to your company to consider this sustainable project as a CSI Project, please e-mail Mandie Erasmus on email@example.com